Welcome to Digi Read Do, your one-stop destination for self-publishing guidance in Australia!
As an aspiring writer, you have a unique vision for your book that you want to bring to life. Our mission is to help you achieve your publishing dreams, with the right tools, resources, and support.
At Digi Read Do, we believe that self-publishing should be accessible to everyone, regardless of experience or budget. That’s why we offer a comprehensive range of guides, tutorials, and services to help you every step of the way.
Our team of experienced writers and publishing professionals have years of industry experience and are dedicated to helping you achieve your goals. We provide practical, actionable advice on topics such as:
- Writing and editing your book
- Designing a professional cover that stands out
- Formatting and publishing your book across multiple platforms
- Marketing your book to reach your target audience
- Building a loyal readership and growing your author brand
Whether you’re a first-time writer or a seasoned author, we have something to offer you at Digi Read Do. From free resources to premium services, we’ve got you covered.
Plus, with our active community of self-published authors, you’ll have access to a supportive network of fellow writers who can share their experiences and advice. Our community forums, events, and resources are designed to help you connect, learn, and grow.
At Digi Read Do, we’re committed to your success. Start your self-publishing journey today and discover the power of bringing your vision to life!
What is Self-Publishing?
Self-publishing is the process by which an author takes on the responsibility of publishing their own work, rather than going through a traditional publishing house. This typically involves the author overseeing the entire publishing process, from editing and formatting the manuscript to designing the cover and marketing the book.
With the advent of digital publishing platforms such as Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing and Barnes & Noble’s Nook Press, self-publishing has become an increasingly popular option for authors who want to have more control over their work and potentially earn higher royalties.
Self-publishing can take many forms, from publishing an e-book on a platform like Amazon to producing a print-on-demand paperback through a service like IngramSpark. Some self-published authors also choose to hire professionals to help with editing, cover design, and other aspects of the publishing process.
The Self-Publishing Scene in Australia
The self-publishing scene in Australia has grown rapidly in recent years and is becoming increasingly popular among authors who want to take control of the publishing process and reach readers directly.
There are a number of digital self-publishing platforms available to Australian authors, including Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing, Kobo Writing Life, and Smashwords. These platforms offer authors the ability to publish their work as e-books and reach a global audience. Many authors also choose to publish their books in print-on-demand format through services such as IngramSpark or CreateSpace.
In addition to digital and print-on-demand publishing, there are also a growing number of small press and hybrid publishing companies in Australia that offer self-publishing services to authors. These companies typically provide editing, design, and distribution services for a fee.
The self-publishing scene in Australia also includes a number of industry events and resources, such as the Independent Publishing Conference and the Australian Self-Publishing Group, which provide support and networking opportunities for self-published authors.
Why you should Self-Publish your Work
An aspiring writer may choose to self-publish for a variety of reasons, including:
- Creative control: With self-publishing, the author retains complete creative control over their work, from the writing to the cover design and marketing. This can be especially appealing for writers who have a clear vision for their book and want to see it realized exactly as they envision it.
- Speed to market: Traditional publishing can be a lengthy process, involving finding an agent, submitting to publishers, and waiting for acceptance and publication. Self-publishing, on the other hand, allows an author to get their book to market much more quickly, often in a matter of weeks.
- Higher royalties: Traditional publishers typically offer authors a royalty rate of around 10-15% of the cover price of the book, while self-published authors can earn up to 70% of the royalties on digital sales and 60% on print-on-demand sales. This can be a significant advantage for authors who want to earn more money from their work.
- Flexibility: Self-publishing allows authors to experiment with different genres, styles, and formats without having to adhere to the demands of a traditional publisher. This can be especially appealing for writers who want to write across multiple genres or who have a unique vision for their work.
- Marketing and promotion: While traditional publishers typically handle marketing and promotion for their authors, self-publishing requires the author to take on this responsibility. However, with the rise of social media and online marketing tools, self-published authors now have a range of affordable and effective ways to promote their work and reach readers directly.
Self-publishing can be a viable option for writers who want to retain creative control, get their work to market quickly, earn higher royalties, and have flexibility in their publishing options. However, it does require a significant amount of work and investment on the part of the author to make their book successful.